Tuesday, March 4, 2014

A MOTHER'S HEART

a mother's prayer spiritysol
 
This quote spoke to me so deeply-- reading it brought tears to my eyes.
 
"Where did I come from? Where did you find me? asks the baby of his mother. She weeps and laughs at the same time and, pressing the infant to her breast, answers, You were hidden in my heart darling, you were its desire." ~Rabindranath Tagore
 
Being a mama was my heart's greatest desire. All through my childhood I imagined what it would be like to have babies of my own. And in the years between childhood and adulthood, I felt a hole in my heart that got deeper and wider with each passing year. Sometimes I could even feel a physical emptiness on my hip as I walked-- as though my body knew the memory of carrying a baby there and felt off balance without it. When Tai was born, I felt as though my entire life had been leading up to that moment-- that everything else had simply been preparation for that day.
 
Now, as I wait on the doorsteps of a new little soul, my heart once again swells with desire. I know no greater joy than holding my child close-- realizing what a gift it is to walk beside them on this journey. At the end of the day, after all of the tantrums and tears, messes and mishaps, being a mother is the most beautiful job I could ask for.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment