Wednesday, October 16, 2013

ROAD TRIP PART II: FIRE

plains mesa Colorado
After two days in the snow, we left Telluride-- en route to visit an old friend of mine and her new baby daughter. We spent some time catching up and soaking up baby snuggles, and then hit the road again. I had been expecting to drive home and spend our last free day working on some projects around the house and catching up on bookkeeping. Instead, on a whim, we decided to drive to Moab, Utah and Arches National Park. 

Arches national park

As we drove down from the mountains, the views began to take my breath away. I was glued to the window-- watching as incredible rock formations rose out the plains. W got to Moab at 4:30 and spent the afternoon driving and walking around the park-- completely in awe of the landscape around us. I could have spent hours exploring, climbing, and meditating, but the sun was beginning to set, and Tai was rapidly headed towards a meltdown. We drove out of the park slowly, watching a half moon rise above the rocks as the sun set on the horizon, and headed out on the adventure of finding food and a room for the night. We'd hoped to get back to the park in the morning, but by the time we woke and packed, it was time to hit the road and head home.

arches national park utah

It felt good to be in a new, "foreign" place, even if it was only one state away from home.  It's been awhile--- far too long--- since we traveled with no route and no itinerary. I know that I'm to blame- far too often I let my uptight, type-A-self dominate my free-spirited, adventurous self. I always come up with reasons for why the trips I daydream about are a bad idea: we have a very active toddler who doesn't like the car, we're on a pretty tight budget, we should be saving for x,y, and z instead...... But I know that if I can push through those fears, incredible adventures await. True--we spent more money than I wanted to on this trip, Tai had some less-than-glorious moments in the car, and Alexis and I lost our patience more than once. But we also got to spend time as a family in one of the most beautiful places on earth. I got to feel wild and free and alive in a way that I haven't in awhile. 


hiking arches national park utah



golden arches national park sunset

red rocks utah arches national park

We'll be back to Moab. And we've started planning a winter trip to Hawaii. Alexis and I have always wanted to go- and now it's time to let go of my sensible excuses and make it happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment